The story of Vulcan Iron Works

Vulcan Iron Works

Vulcan Iron Works

The Vulcan Iron Works were factories owned independently by numerous entrepreneurs in England during the Industrial Revolution. Vulcan, the Roman god of fire and smithery was the name of choice for these industries. Some notable factories were those of Robinson Thwaites and Edward Carbutt in Bradford, and that of Thomas Clunes of Worcester, England. The largest of the ironworks were the Cleveland Works of Bolckow Vaughan in Middlesbrough. These industries began approximately around the 1850’s, with some lasting till the mid-20th century. These factories mainly manufactured castings for motor cars, railway rolling stock, locomotives and ironwork for the railways. These factories were established in Worcester, Derby, Bradford, Langley Mill and Preston, England.

The Vulcan Iron Works came to India around the 1870’s and set up factories in Karachi, Lahore and Ahmedabad. The one in Ahmedabad is still functioning however the factories in Karachi and Lahore have been shut down. One of these factories original building still stands to date in Karachi.